Harveys Wine Merchants

Harveys Wine Merchants were famous for their Bristol Cream sherry, which was developed in the 1860s. The company trademarked the name in 1886, and it became one of the world’s best-selling sherries. Even now it is on the shelf of virtually every wine store.

It is a little known fact that for over a century Harveys had a branch of their business in Kidderminster. The business was set up there c1790 by a Bristol merchant, William Thorn. At the end of the 1830s the Harvey brothers, John and Charles, sons of a Bristol mariner, became partners in the businesses at Bristol and Kidderminster respectively

Nigel Gilbert’s book, “Harveys Kidderminster Cream“, is the story of the Kidderminster branch. It is also the story of the legendary historic cellars which were scandalously destroyed in 1968 to make way for a shopping centre. A considerable network of cellars, had they survived, would have told us much about Kidderminster’s trading history.

If you wish to purchase this book, please click on publications.

Harveys cellar

Harveys legendary vault, thought for many decades to have been an ancient chapel